- This article can be improved with information from the Shadowrun Quick Reference wiki: Neo-Tokyo.
Neo-Tokyo (jap. ネオ東京) is the capital of Japan and the seat of the Emperor. It was created in the aftermath of the Ring of Fire catastrophe of 2061. As part of the rebuilding efforts the old metropolis, Tokyo (jap. 東京) proper, was merged with the surrounding prefectures (the Greater Tokyo Area) to form Neo-Tokyo Prefecture. The Greater Neo-Tokyo Metropolitan Area, nicknamed "the city without end", is the country's largest sprawl of 50 million people , one of the largest on Earth.
Neo-Tokyo comprises of Tokyo city (the wards), the three former prefectures Kanagawa, Saitama and Chiba and the artificial islands and arcologies built into Tokyo Bay. An area of more than 20,000 km².
In 2061, during the Ring of Fire eruptions, an earthquake destroyed parts of the city. Megacorps started to build the destroyed parts of the city, but the new emperor, 14-year-old Yasuhito, disagreed. He planned to rebuild the city with help of Shinto priests, mages and kami spirits.
Emperor Yasuhito consolidated several neighboring prefectures in 2063 into Neo-Tokyo and begins implementing his reconstruction plans. In 2064, Transys Neuronet announced its wireless Matrix overlay for the sprawl, setting the foundation for its augmented reality grid.
Officially 45 million people live in the Greater Neo-Tokyo Metropolitan Area, the true number including SINless and non-recognized sapients is deemed closer to 50 million (2071). The population density is roughly 2500/km²  with a much higher density in the central region.
Each of Neo-Tokyo's wards has its own government and function as independent cities, with the Tokyo Metropolitan Government, seated in Nishi-Shinjuku, handling sprawl-wide services.
Neo-Tokyo's abandoned subways and extensive flood-control tunnels also house thousands of homeless and shamed metahumans.
The 23 Special Wards of TokyoEdit
The urban area of Tokyo is divided into 23 special wards (特別区, tokubetsuku), and many resemble sizable cities in most respects.
List of special wardsEdit
Neo-Tokyo employs a municipal, non-corporate police force. The Neo-Tokyo Municipal Police are known for their training, state-of-the-art gear and application of drones and robots.
Citizens cannot carry firearms, but adults can carry any non-concealed bladed weapon, and many do for purposes of fashion more than self-defense.
- ↑ Shadows of Asia p.79
- ↑ Corporate Enclaves p.59 unofficial number, official estimate is only 45 million
- ↑ Corporate Enclaves p.76
- ↑ Corporate Enclaves p.59
- ↑ based on 50 million and a 20,000 km² area (Corporate Enclaves p.59, 76)
- ↑ Corporate Enclaves p.76-84
- ↑ Corporate Enclaves p.85
- Corporate Enclaves, 56-110, 133-136
- Corporate Guide
- Ghost Cartels
- Loose Alliances, 8, 81, 95, 98, 120, 132
- Magic in the Shadows, 92
- Runner Havens, 64, 96
- Shadowrun Third Edition, 31, 35
- Shadowrun 2050
- Shadows of Asia
- Sixth World Almanac
- Sprawl Survival Guide, 63, 75, 79
- Spy Games, 72, 96
- Street Magic, 76
- System Failure
- The Clutch of Dragons, 65
- Unwired, 28, 86
- Year of the Comet, 98, 100
- Shadowrun Second Edition, 298-305
- Tokyo Sourcebook
- Tokyo War between Fuchi and Asakura Electronics in 2035, p.21
- Capital move in 2036, because of the Tokyo War, p.21
- Shadowrun (Mega CD)