|Platform(s)||Microsoft Windows, OS X, Linux, iPad, Android tablets|
|Release date(s)||July 25, 2013|
|Genre(s)||Tactical role-playing game|
The game was released in July 25, 2013. For Windows/OSX/Linux players, the game is downloadable via Steam.
You receive a call from your old partner Sam. It seems that he's gotten himself killed and now his life insurance goes to you, if you can find his killer. Out of cash and with no other job in sight, you head to Seattle to see if you can crack the case.
Players start with a representative Shadowrun character archetype and are then free to grow their character as they wish, spending Karma points to choose any skill or ability available in the game. Abilities from various archetypes can be combined.
Mages use hermetic magic to cast a wide variety of spells including Acid Stream, Lightning bolt, Manabolt, Blindness, Confusion, and Petrify. Mages can also enhance other characters' abilities with spells such as AP (action point) Boost, Aim, Armor, Ignore Pain, Stealth, and Heal. Lastly, Mages can negatively impact others with spells like Slow, Distraction, Disintegrate, Agony, and Mana Static, which makes it harder to cast magic.
- Street Samurai
Street Samurai can gain the ability to carry up to three weapons into combat and special ranged skills such as snapshot, armor piercing, and head-shots. In close combat, Samurai can gain actions like slash, stab, and cleave with bladed weapons, and the ability to disarm an opponent.
Most facilities have one or more LANs, each with several nodes that control elements of the facility. Using their cyberdecks, Deckers can take control of network-controlled doors, cameras, and even automated weapons. Core LANs may contain the facility's data stores and CPUs, which the Deckers can hack into to steal data or implant viruses. Deckers use special programs to speed their hacking of nodes and reduce their chance of setting off alarms.
When summoning, shamans must invest their own action points into a spirit to control it. The skill of the Shaman and the level of the summoned spirit determine the base chance to do so. If the player attempts to use more action points than invested in the spirit, the chances of losing control of it go up dramatically. A spirit that breaks free from a shaman is a very dangerous rogue entity with a high likelihood of seeking revenge upon the one who summoned it.
As Riggers advance, they can use larger drones, control more than one at a time, and extend the range at which they can use the drones away from their physical bodies.
- Physical Adept
Physical Adepts are more than mere martial artists, they are highly specialized spell casters with combat spells such as Killer Hands, Distance Strike, Mystic Armor, Traceless Walk, and Quick Strike.
- In Shadowrun Returns, you are able to create characters of both sexes for any of the meta-human races (Human, Dwarf, Elf, Ork, and Troll) in a variety of skin colors. From the core of these 10 models, you can select gear appropriate for your character's skill concentration (Street Samurai, Decker, Mage, Shaman, Rigger, or Physical Adapt). You'll also be able to choose apparel that's appropriate for the location of your mission (or just to look cool).
- Game editor for those interested in telling their own stories. Beyond walls, doors, and furniture, GMs use the game editor to place character spawn locations, NPC travel paths, trigger regions, interactable objects, and scene lighting.
Shadowrun Returns integrates text into gameplay in four ways:
- Chapter and Scene Introductions set the context and emotional landscape for the scene you are about to play
- In-world GM pop-ups describe the sights, sounds, and smells that your character is experiencing at this moment.
- In-world character speech bubbles provide short quips from your characters and NPCs, providing insights into their actions. Of course, sometimes, they're just for entertainment.
- The conversation window allows you to have in-depth branching conversations with characters in the world, as well as GM narration that helps bring those characters to life.
- PC System Requirements
- OS:Windows XP SP3/Vista/Windows 7
- Processor: x86-compatible 1.4 GHz or faster processor
- Memory:2 GB RAM
- Graphics:DirectX compatible 3D graphics card with at least 256MB of addressable memory
- Hard Drive:2 GB HD space
- Mac System Requirements
- OS: OSX 10.5+
- Processor: Intel-based Macs only (x86-compatible, 1.4 GHz or better)
- Memory: 2 GB RAM
- Hard disk space: 2 GB HD space
Digital Deluxe EditionEdit
The Deluxe Edition includes the following items:
- The Shadowrun Returns Soundtrack
- From the composers of the much-loved Shadowrun SEGA and SNES games, the Shadowrun Returns Soundtrack will pay homage to the classics but with a modern twist.
- Shadowrun Returns Anthology
- Explore the story of Shadowrun Returns even more with an illustrated PDF of short stories written for the game and edited by Jordan Weisman, the creator of Shadowrun.
- Berlin Campaign: new campaigns also allow you to build with an expanded set of tiles; free for certain Kickstarter donors
- Map Packs: new terrain tiles and props for you to use in your own campaigns
- All new Shadowrun stories (created by HBS)
- Additional outfits and portraits for your character
Mr. Kluwe, the troll bouncer in the Seamstress Union, is modeled after Chris Kluwe, punter of the Oakland Raiders. He formerly played for the Minnesota Vikings, hence the immaculate horns referenced in the game.
Stevie J, the BTL dealer, is modeled after Steve Jackson, the game designer that made GURPS, Munchkin, and many more games.
Dowd, the deceased runner referenced several times, is a reference to Tom Dowd, the writer of several novels and source materials for Shadowrun, including some that parts of the story derive from.
VideosEditShadowrun Returns Alpha Gameplay Commentary(19:49)
- Concept art
- ↑ http://www.shacknews.com/article/79790/shadowrun-returns-coming-july-25-with-full-editor-tools
- ↑ http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2013/01/02/shadowrun-returns-online-feature.aspx Game Informer
- ↑ https://twitter.com/ChrisWarcraft/statuses/360778290014855169