Spike babies are individual human, animal or plant meta-types born before the conventionally accepted dates for the first appearance of said meta-types.
Less well known to the public, but even more interesting, are spike baby elves:
- Dodger – an elf running Seattle's shadows, who remembers watching the broadcast of the fall of the Empire State Building in the 2005 New York City earthquake. This puts his birth in the 1990s or earlier.
- Liam O'Connor – an elf born in 1979
- Luther von Hayek – an elf from Nosferatu
- Maria Cinebal – an elf born in 1998
- Sean Laverty – an elf who founded the Xavier Foundation in the late 20th century. He appeared to be in his twenties at the time, putting his birth sometime before 1980 (if he is not in fact an immortal elf).
- James Telestrian III - an elf born in the early 2000s.
- The Xavier Foundation – An orphanage/boarding school for "special children". It was later discovered that the children (Dodger and Maria amongst them) were spike baby elves.